Friday, April 06, 2007

Can You Live This Fantasy Life?

My fantasy baseball team is a lot of fun, although I'm getting killed in the pitching stats.

I was too late adding Gil Meche on Monday after Loaiza was finally put on the 15 day DL, and of course Meche turned in a monstrous day, pitching seven innings and giving up only one earned run.

Ted was really the one that turned me on to the guy on draft day, and I'd been chomping at the bit to pick him up after Loaiza didn't make his start against the River Cats last Thursday.

A.J. Burnett's 27.0 ERA, along with Justin Duchscherer and Derek Lowe each sporting a 13.5 average, made Joe Borowski's 9.0 average not seem so bad. Thankfully, my number one pitching pick. Daisuke Matsuzaka, pitched a beautiful seven innings, Armando Benitez picked up his first save, and the afforementioned Duchscherer picked up a win tonight. My pitching staff might actually be coming around.

One of the last picks I made was for my starting second baseman. A big time sleeper, I saw potential, but I have to admit, I picked him because we went to the same high school (though twelve or so years apart). Dustin Pedroia of the Red Sox is pulling through for me in a big way, leading all of my batters with .500 average.

Two more days of week one, and if my bats stay hot, and the earned runs come down, I could actually have a shot of sitting atop the league.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I play fantasy baseball too...My team is doing quite well so far.
I went with a bunch of older players. We'll see how it turns out

Bobby said...

Outside of Pedroia and Ethier, I guess my team is pretty old too.

Both of my closers are mid-thirties, and my entire pitching staff, save Dice-Kay, is 30 or pushing it.