Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Polly T. Kitty

My cat, Polly, is just about my favorite thing in the whole world.



She was a few weeks old when she climbed into the engine compartment of my car (luckily, I saw her crawling into it), I popped the hood, threw her in a box, and took her to the vet.

I was living alone for the first time in my life and, with being a feral cat, she wasn't too interested in hanging out with me. Little by little she started coming around, and we've been best buds for the last 11 years.

I've had more than one girlfriend (there have been several in that time span) complain that I love my cat more than I love them, and I have to admit that I've been hard pressed to argue.

The last year has been a hard one. I took her to the vet and found she needed to have several teeth removed. Before she went in, I moved into a small, one bedroom apartment.

I took her in for the dental work, and I spent the next couple of weeks chasing her through the apartment when it was time for her medicine.

We moved into a two story, three bedroom house in November, and she seemed to be the happiest she's ever been.

A few weeks ago I came home and one of her eyes was giving her trouble. I took her to the vet, found it was irritated, and a simple eye cream was prescribed. Unfortunately, it was discovered that she needed to have more teeth removed.

She hates wet food, but with so few teeth remaining, was going to have to give it another shot. I went out and bought a wide variety of wet cat food. She didn't eat much the next few weeks, but I was holding out, figuring that she'd get hungry enough sooner or later and have to eat.

She never did though, and I guess I can look back and thank my lucky stars that she's so finicky. I'm pretty sure that just about every pack and can of wet food I put in front of her for two weeks was of the tainted-rat-poison variety.

She had another barrage of tests, and so far (fingers crossed) everything seems to be relatively fine.

So, she's back to kibble, and just gumming away at it.

Ah, stupid cat. I don't know what I'd do without her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A few years ago I adopted an 11 year old cat who was blind in one eye and had no teeth, and his name was Gummer, haha. Anyway, he didn't go for the wet food either, he'd just gum down the kibble and was totally fine. I had him about 2 years until some random illness got the better of him ($800 later and the vet kept telling me there was nothing wrong, yet he was obviously in a ton of pain and could barely move) and I had to put him down. The point is I think your kitty will be fine.

writegrrrl said...

Sophie totally gums her dry food and she only has 2 teeth. She & Polly can form a Toothless Kitty Club